Edel recommends Brie and Caramelised Pear Tart. Save 20% on Chateaux de France Brie (now €12 per kg, was €15 per kg) this week only (Thursday 1st – Wednesday 7th September). Looking for a wine to go with it? Check out our French wine sale also on this week for special offers.
Serves: 4 people
- 1 x Fresh Egg
- 225 g Plain Flour
- 110 g SuperValu Butter cube
- 1 pinch SuperValu Salt
- 2 tbsp Water
- 2 x Fresh Egg beaten
- 1 x Red Onion peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 140 g SuperValu Brie cut into slices
- 2 tbsp SuperValu Brown Sugar
- 60 g SuperValu Butter
- To make the pastry, sieve the flour and salt into a glass bowl, add the butter and using your fingers crumble together until resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the beaten egg yolk and some water until the dough comes together.
- Wrap in clingfilm and allow to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Lightly grease a 12″ pastry tray.
- Roll the pastry into a rectangle, approximately 3mm in thickness.
- Trim the excess and place in the fridge to rest.
- Meanwhile melt half the butter in a frying pan and when foaming add the pear and brown sugar, turning once or twice until golden (approx 5 minutes).
- Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining butter to the pan and add the onions, cook for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and cover with some parchment paper, fill with some rice or dried beans.
- Place in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and remove the paper and rice or beans.
- Whisk together the eggs and cream, add some salt and pepper.
- Arrange the caramelised pear, brie and onion over the base of the pastry, then pour over the cream mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until just set.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.